If You Want to Travel…the State Board Is Your Friend

Blog Graphic (4)


Yes, if you are a therapist or school psychologist who is interested in working in a school setting, but also want to travel—the option is there for you. However, there are some things you need to be aware of.

Once you decide where you want to take an assignment, it is very important that you immediately contact the appropriate state board that governs your practice. Every state has a board, but every state also has its own laws and rules that mandate your scope of practice and licensure requirements. In some states, such as Washington, Arizona, and Colorado, a therapist working in a school setting must also obtain a certain educational certificates.

Here is some advice that can help you make the licensure process a bit easier and enhance the chances for getting that perfect school assignment in the location you desire.

  • Check with the appropriate state board as soon as you decide that you want to take a school assignment in a state for which you are not licensed.
  • Make sure you understand all the requirements that the state mandates for licensure—this includes tests of laws and rules, fingerprinting, continuing education requirements, and education verification.
  • Ask how long it will take to process a licensure application. What is communicated on the state board website may not be accurate—that’s the reason you call.
  • When submitting the application, make sure all the items on the form are completed correctly and all supporting documents are included.
  • Give yourself 4-8 weeks processing time for licensure.
  • Contact the professional school that granted your degree, ask them to send your transcript to the board and inquire how long it will take to send the transcript.
  • Follow-up on the licensure application regularly until the license is granted.
  • Remember, only you can get information from the board. Board personnel will not speak to anyone else due to privacy concerns.

Licensure delays can create issues with an assignment. It is best if you already have a license to practice in the state to which you wish to travel because some school districts will not consider and candidate unless the person is already licensed.

Maintaining good communication with the company with which you have chosen to work is key in ensuring the assignment will be a fulfilling one for you.

If you are interested in learning more about contracts in school settings….contact us at www.ppredu.com. We would love to help you discover all the opportunities there are to work with school kids and explore the country.